From:
Bill Hesbach <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Jun 2017 10:39:02 -0400
> What is claimed is: 1. A method for providing a pollinator with the ability to assimilate neonicotinoid pesticides, comprising, providing to a pollinator a modified bacteria of a species normally found in the gut microbiome of the pollinator, said modified bacteria being adapted to degrade a neonicotinoid pesticide, wherein the modified bacteria have genes involved in the degradation of neonicotinoid pesticides.

"Recent developments, which include the discovery of extensive strain-level variation, evidence of protective and nutritional functions, and reports of eco-physiological or disease-associated perturbations to the microbial community, have drawn attention to the role of the microbiota in bee health and its potential as a model for studying the ecology and evolution of gut symbionts."

Gut microbial communities of social bees
Waldan K. Kwong  & Nancy A. Moran
Nature Reviews Microbiology 14, 374–384 (2016)
doi:10.1038/nrmicro.2016.43 Published online 03 May 2016

Are Kwong and Morgan serious? Because if they are I can't see why the top claim, once rescued from all the hype, isn't.  I'm not qualified to judge but isn't this where gene splicing tools like CRISPR may play a significant role in modifying microbes that then benefit other organisms. And for the skeptics concerning the power of microbes transferred between organisms - think fecal implants for humans with C. difficile infection. I'm thinking it may just be possible to modify the honey bee gut microbial community to gobble up imidacloprid. Our ability to understand the ultimate consequences of GMOs at the gut microbe level is the scary part.

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
- Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio