HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Stefan Woehlke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Aug 2021 11:24:54 -0400
Hi Everyone!

Below is an abstract for an SAA session on computational and digital
methods in archaeology. It will have some historical archaeology papers in
it, but it has no regional or temporal constraints. Please consider
submitting a proposal to highlight the important contributions that
historical archaeology can make to computer methods in archaeology.
Historical Archaeology can go beyond computational approaches in other
sub-disciplines because of the data we have access to. It will be good to
get this work in front of our colleagues working in other contexts.

This session is being organized by the North American Chapter of Computer
Applications and Quantitative Methods in Archaeology.

Thanks,

Stefan
____________________________________

*Session Sponsor: CAA-NA*

*Session Title: *

Expanding Computational and Digital Methods in Archaeology

*Session Abstract:*

Computational archaeology has been critical to the advancement of the
discipline for decades. These approaches often fall into the broad
categories of complex quantitative analysis and digital cultural heritage.
New methods and technologies have fueled the advancement of computational
approaches that enable novel research to address new questions, engage
professional and public audiences in immersive ways, and inspire
interdisciplinary projects that push the boundaries of our discipline. This
session seeks to highlight recent computational approaches and digital
methods that are shaping archaeological research and practice.

Please contact the session organizers with your interest and proposals.

Heather Richards-Rissetto: [log in to unmask]

Stefan Woehlke: [log in to unmask]
Stefan Woehlke
University of Maryland, College Park
School of Architecture, Planning, and Preservation
Historic Preservation Program