HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Megan Bailey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Mar 2018 17:54:19 -0400
Hello,

I'm passing along a question from a historian friend who's working on a project to identify where the poet Anne Bradstreet is buried; she wanted to know about archaeological methods that might be useful in doing this project. She wrote:

My colleague and I are proposing a summer research project to find her burial site. We'll research in local historical societies--using maps and deeds, etc--to make a few educated guesses about her burial site. If we did pinpoint a couple of good guesses, what would we need to do next to find out if her body is there? She was buried in 1672. I know the odds of tracking down her burial site are slim already--but, I feel like I should ask: are we living in a complete fantasy land here? Or is there a way to find a body that has been buried for over 300 years?

Any input from those experienced with burial sites would be much appreciated!

Best,
Megan