HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Schuyler, Robert L" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Aug 2017 18:14:23 +0000
Some historical questions:

(1) was it illegal to teach slaves to read/write in the colonial period,

(2) in the 19th century (if that is when such laws were passed) was it illegal in all Southern slave states or only in some, and

(3) has anyone studied how common it was for white people (planters, their wives, others) to actively break the law and teach slaves how to read (write)?

Robert L. Schuyler
University of Pennsylvania Museum
3260 South Street
Philadelphia, PA l9l04-6324