HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Mar 2017 18:15:31 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (41 lines)
Hi Sarah,

I believe that Dr. Hardesty performed some work on the Henness Pass Road in Sierra County during the 1980s, and it included the milehouses. There may have been excavation, but I can't remember at the moment. The report is on file at the Tahoe National Forest headquarters in Nevada City. Bill Slater is the district archaeologist, and can be reached at (530) 478-6287 or [log in to unmask] Additionally, there are reports and site records concerning individual milehouses in his office.

In Sacramento County, I am preparing to create a milehouse district for a stretch of the old Jackson Road, now Highway 16, but there is no excavation as of yet. There are four archaeological sites and one built-environment site that will be included.

Good luck,

Ian Springer, M. A., RPA

Environmental Planner (Archaeology)

Principal Investigator (Historical Archaeology)

California Department of Transportation, District 3

703 B Street, Marysville, CA 95901

(530) 741-4583

Sent: Friday, March 3, 2017 9:29 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Seeking Comparative Archaeological Reports on Mid-Nineteenth Century Roadhouses/Waystations in California

Good morning,

Does anyone know of any excavations that were done of mid-to-late nineteenth century roadhouses or waystations in California? I need comparative studies to include in a report I am working on. If you know of any studies, please let me know how I may be able to obtain a copy.

Thanks!
Sarah Heffner, Ph.D., RPA
Senior Historical Archaeologist
PAR Environmental Services, Inc.

ATOM RSS1 RSS2