Reply To:
HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Apr 2016 15:14:43 +1000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (105 lines)
... and if you want to see what it looks like when a bomb hits it then have a look at this photo of Henderson Field in Solomon Islands after a Japanese raid:

https://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USA/USA-P-Guadalcanal/img/USA-P-Guadalcanal-27a.jpg

Just as Denis noted for Norfolk Island, Marston matting is still being used in the Solomons for fencing, pig pens etc. etc.

Regards

David

Dr David Roe
Archaeology Manager
Port Arthur Historic Site Management Authority
Port Arthur
Tasmania
Australia 7182
(ph) 03 6251 2368
(mob) 0457 675 357
(fax) 03 6251 2322
www.portarthur.org.au and www.femalefactory.org.au

-----Original Message-----
From: HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Denis Gojak
Sent: Tuesday, 26 April 2016 10:03 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Artifact Identification

An airfield was constructed on Norfolk Island, somewhere in the south Pacific as they used to say, with these interlinked plates, taking up a vast percentage of available land.  Since the airfield was upgraded the plates have become a valuable item for fencing, animal enclosures, crossing drainage channels and all manner of uses.
A sort of Legolandesque capital.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Denis Gojak PO Box 457Newtown NSW 2042Australia e   [log in to unmask]  0400 474 405
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

----- Original Message -----
To:
Cc:
Sent:Tue, 26 Apr 2016 12:04:53 +0200
Subject:Re: Artifact Identification

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marston_Mat
 "Large quantities of matting were produced; approximately 2 million tons  costing more than US$200 million (in the 1940s).[4] At the end of the  war a large amount of the material remained as war surplus and was  pressed into use in various civil engineering applications such as road  and bridge construction."

Am 26.04.2016 um 03:14 schrieb David Babson:
 > I've seen this in a lot of World War II photos, especially of Pacific  > Theater airfield runways. I've also seen smaller amounts of it, in person,  > on U.S. Army installations, such as Fort Riley, Kansas, where (early 1990s)  > there were a few low spots in less-used tank trails that had this material  > laid down across the direction of traffic, roughly like logs across a  > corduroy road. In dry weather, driving across a section of this pavement  > makes an ungodly clatter. I never new what it was called, and always  > thought of it as that "World War II Airfield Stuff." I'll take the  > education, and now know it as "Marston Mat." I figure the U.S.
produced
 > trainload lots of it for World War II, then stored some and surplus-ed the  > rest, when they were left with said trainloads in 1945. It was probably  > the go-to item for a quick road improvement at any DoD facility, through  > the 1970s.
 >
 > D. Babson.
 >
 >
 > On Mon, Apr 25, 2016 at 8:28 PM, David Parkhill  wrote:
 >
 >> We used these steel plates in Korea to build airfield landing strips.
 >> Reason. Simple to put together, low cost, repaired broken strips in a very  >> quick time.
 >>
 >> -----Original Message-----
 >> From: HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Mike  >> Polk  >> Sent: Monday, April 25, 2016 5:12 PM  >> To: [log in to unmask]  >> Subject: Re: Artifact Identification  >>  >> A suggestion is that this represents portable vehicular pads.
During the
 >> Vietnam war steel mesh squares which could be snapped together were used to  >> make portable helicopter pads and roads through areas which could not  >> otherwise be landed on or driven across.
 >>
 >> When I was running the field portion of the Tombigbee waterway Historic  >> Townsites Project in 1980, I got permission to purchase enough of this to  >> build a road over very muddy soils. We ended up using gravel, but if that  >> had not worked, purchase of a portable road from a surplus guy in Oklahoma  >> was our next move.
 >>
 >> Mike Polk
 >> Commonwealth Heritage Group
 >> Ogden, Utah
 >>
 >> Sent from my iPhone
 >>
 >>> On Apr 25, 2016, at 9:04 PM, Hannah Russell  >> wrote:
 >>>
 >>> Hi All,
 >>> I found this material at a 1960's military complex in southeast Utah  >>> and am looking for some ideas of what it might be. Funny story,  >>> within a week of recording this site, I was at a bar in Salt Lake City  >>> and there was a room divider made out of the same material. The  >>> pictures of the material in situ and at the bar can be found at the link  >> below to a google photo album.
 >>>
 >>> Thanks in advance for your help.
 >>>
 >>> https://goo.gl/photos/3HfR3xJiqtUBiqDQ7
 >>>
 >>>
 >>> Thanks in advance for you help!
 >>>
 >>>
 >>> --
 >>> Hannah Russell, RPA
 >>> Cottonwood Archaeology, LLC
 >>> [log in to unmask]
 >>> (435) 210-0414
 >>
 >

'The Port Arthur Historic Sites include three of the eleven historic sites that together form the Australian Convict Sites World Heritage Property'

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE AND DISCLAIMER
The information in this transmission may be confidential and/or protected by legal professional privilege, and is intended only for the person or persons to whom it is addressed. If you are not such a person, you are warned that any disclosure, copying or dissemination of the information is unauthorised. If you have received the transmission in error, please immediately contact this office by telephone, fax or email, to inform us of the error and to enable arrangements to be made for the destruction of the transmission, or its return at our cost. No liability is accepted for any unauthorised use of the information contained in this transmission.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

ATOM RSS1 RSS2