HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
George Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Apr 2016 08:52:39 -0700
I might add that in researching East Setauket a women described her house as having been moved from Camp Upton as they were auctioned off. It had been moved there on the southside of Carleton Ave., which as I recall was then on a "dead end" and perhaps had a "Lane" name" no longer. Some of the others residents noted thick layers of wood chips below ground where once there were a number of shipbuilders stretching back to the 17th century. The infamous Civil War "last slaver" "Wanderer" was built there for more benign reasons at the time. The recent Revolutionary War "Turn: Washington's Spies" drama series show was about it, Setauket, once the location also of the Society for the Preservation of Long Island Antiquities (SPLIA).