HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Bob Skiles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Aug 2015 11:08:49 -0500
Ed,

Thanks for the pointer to the interesting little story ... it triggered
my memories a bit about how/why my grand-parents were using the
blown-milk-glass-eggs. There seems to be a hard-to-vanquish-myth, today,
that the eggs were used to "induce," or to get non-laying hens to begin
laying, or somehow to magically enhance production of more eggs among a
brood of laying hens. It is widely agreed that a laying hen is very
simple-minded (and to use a very human term "lazy") creature, and will
drop her egg at the first opportune spot that is judged safe; it is
especially judged "safe" IF she spies that an egg has ALREADY been
safely deposited there (this is doubtlessly the dinosaur nesting gene
being expressed).

I don't believe such muddled-magico-mythological thoughts about
enhancing production ever crossed my grand-parents (Pentecostal) minds
(unless in an INVERSE sense, that of avoiding loss). I do seem to
remember they tended to keep one egg in each nest box in an attempt to
try to distribute the hens (and their clutches of eggs) more evenly
spaced over the whole line of boxes in the coop, and the purpose thereby
being to avoid the hens fighting each other over the first box as they
entered the door (and the resulting damage to some of the eggs that
would inevitably get flung from the box during the fights, or get broken
or scratched-up from the mad scrambling of mad-hens' clawing feet trying
to evict one another from the nest).

Did you notice the story ends with a convenient Amazon link where you
can purchase the modern ceramic chicken-egg-sized decoys (2 for $6) ? In
any case, I've since spoken to an old friend in east Texas (who used to
raise chickens & sell eggs, commercially, and still has a few free-range
chickens "running around the yard" ... "for old-times-sakes" [as pets],
and to provide fresh eggs for his visiting grandkids' breakfasts ... "if
you can find where they've hidden their eggs, before the snakes do ...")
... who tells me that there is also made a somewhat cheaper plastic
Chinese import ... but it is an inferior product and should be avoided
... doesn't work for some reason ... both chickens AND snakes are leery
of them ! He opined that it must be something about the SMELL or TASTE
of the plastic as they seem to look, feel, and weigh the same as the
ceramic eggs. "Chickens seem to avoid them; snakes too." IMO, his
well-known bias against Chinese-imports MAY be coloring his
observations/opinions regarding the efficacy of the plastic eggs ... I
have watched enough YouTube videos to convince myself that many Texas
rat-snakes aren't as discriminating /epicures/ as the ones reported
harassing my friend, and find the plastic models (as long as they are
the same weight as a real egg) just-as-convincing-dupes as the ceramic ones.

Regards,
Bob Skiles