From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Oct 2017 04:24:27 -0700
Juanse (thank you!) posted the link to this paper:
β-Ocimene, a Key Floral and Foliar Volatile Involved in Multiple
Interactions between Plants and Other Organisms

I suggest that anyone interested in the topic of nest regulation,
broodrearing triggers, or the formation of diutinus bees read it.  It could
answer some of our questions, and help to explain the findings of Otis and
Mattila, and Smedal and Amdam about the transition to "winter bees."  This
is a wonderful example of plant:bee communication.

I've reworked one of the figures from the paper, and added the human
perception of the major flower volatiles.

Besides e-beta-ocimene, note how common benzaldehyde is.  But at high
concentration, it is used as a bee repellent.​

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA