From:
Bill Greenrose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Sep 2017 07:06:15 -0400
Christina wrote:

> I think Bill Greenrose wins this round as having addressed exactly the right set of questions for beekeepers to discuss on this issue,...."

Well, I DID stay in a Holiday Inn Express that night.  As much as I appreciate the comment, I wish I had answers and not just questions.

This season has been fantastic for goldenrod here.  We've had a 7 days straight of sunny days in the low 80's, and the bees have been loading up on that bright yellow pollen.  After a couple of showery days, we're supposed to go back to more of that weather (at times like this, I love global climate change).  Finally got off the crutches and out of the boot for my broken foot and am down to hiking boots and an ankle brace for a couple of weeks (high tech treatment prescribed by my orthopod).  So, I hope to FINALLY pull supers next weekend, do thorough hive inspections and start my fall treatment.  Based on entrance activity bees look strong in all 11 hives (and feisty, based on the sting I took on my thumb, while observing them from about 10 feet away), and if they go into winter with an abundance of this pollen, it will be interesting to see how they fare come spring.  As it stands now, would just be qualitative assessments (strong-weak....).  If anyone has suggestions for better assessment relative to this topic, I'm all ears.

Less Gimpy Bill
Claremont, NH
New England US