From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 May 2017 11:30:29 -0400
I don't know about other states, but Bill's observation that commercial
guys tend to keep their yards away from where most small-scale yards are
likely applies in general.

ΒΆ

Well, let me tell you about NY state, and it probably applies to Pennsylvania and others. This region is heavily forested in summer (in winter most of the trees are bare) and commercial beekeepers are literally everywhere.

They generally pollinate apples and then move their bees all over the region. You _can't see their yards_ in the woodlots, and they are usually gone before the fall. They certainly don't avoid towns, farms, etc. I know this is true because I worked as a state inspector for three seasons. This is not speculation, I know where they are!

This region is a mixture of small and large Ag, overgrown pastures, swamps, etc. It's a free for all, a mixture of big beekeepers with too many thousands of hives and no-treat-em hobbyists. Evidence is pretty uniform showing that the mid-sized beekeepers are the best at controlling mites, as they are on top of them all the time. But we are all affected by the outpouring of mites from failing hives.

About the mite bombs, people have been studying this for decades and anyone who says that this phenomenon is unlikely, simply hasn't been paying attention. Dennis's marked bees, however, really nailed it. Way to go, Dennis!

PLB