Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Jan 2018 06:53:17 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (16 lines)
>> The purpose of the present study is to document the current distribution of AHBs in California, with emphasis on quantifying their presence in populated areas. Recently, a small scale study found AHBs in the San Francisco Bay Area, which raised much concern in the local popular press

Like many urban beekeepers in Los Angeles CA I have observed AHBs closely. It appears that swarms that land in certain neighborhoods of LA become highly aggressive while in other local regions the ferals may be jumpy and runny, but docile enough not to worry about keeping them much as normal agricultural bees. (Note: I no longer make a habit of keeping these bees in my practice.)

To me this variability in what appears to be a feral population that is “100% Africanized “ (according to Eric Mussen)suggests that something is interfering with the successfulness of the aggressive genetic expression. 

Can someone please explain why this highly successful invasive is still not being studied with an eye towards “taming” the unpleasant parts out, as there already are some places such as Puerto Rico and my local “docile” neighborhoods where this is already taking place without human guides?

It goads me because these unwanted bees are always the healthiest hive in the yard. 

Ruth
The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2