Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sat, 6 May 2017 14:51:57 -0400
Subject:
Sender:
From:
Paul Hosticka <[log in to unmask]>
The argument here seems a bit long winded but being the first rainy day in a hectic time I might as well weigh in.

The quest to maximize economic efficiency is often at odds with what is "best practice" from an animal husbandry standard. It usually has very little to do with scientific understanding from a biological point of view. They are different goals and need not be confused.

The in my mind dubious claims of 60 to 85% success of dropping a queen cell in the top supper is easy to measure by the book keeper but not so easy for the beekeeper. The measure seems to be the number of queen right colonies that make money, any queen is as good as any other and the cheaper the better. That attitude goes well beyond just queens.  What about stock improvement or even maintenance or sustainability? We'll leave that to the scientist or dedicated amateurs.

As a long time side-liner, in it to make some money but mostly for the joy and wonder I am admittedly biased. I have yet to see a large operation that can justify itself on a return on invested capital basis, I'll put my investment money elsewhere. What I do see is a race to the bottom. Take out almonds and tell me what you see.

Paul Hosticka
Dayton WA