Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Fri, 3 Feb 2017 09:24:32 -0600
From:
Charles Linder <[log in to unmask]>
What is the net loss/gain of early build up?

More mites is earlier is one downside.....

As Jerry points out, feeding protein sub (and I include syrup concurrently) may lead to an early build up that suffers brood loss, presumably, chilled brood, if a cold snap occurs.
This is a HUGE problem for me where I live.  Local hives do not get fed up for this reason.

Does the energy expended by aging fall/winter bees, and associated stressors of cold weather brood rearing, outweigh the potential benefits of additional early brood? What if the cluster doesn't contract to quite the same size during the cold snap, but is slightly larger, and experiences a net gain of brood ?

This is the quandary when your not doing almonds.  Many more are attempting that early buildup for nectar earlier,  but its not as easy as it sounds.  Increased mites,  early starvation,  brood loss from cold,  are all issues that can ruin it,  on the other hand  a mild winter and good feeding can lead to early splits and earlier honey flows.   One has to weigh your goals with your risks.  Are you managing bees,  or just have some for fun?  Once you start to try these things to push a hive to its maximum output,  then the other goal of natural beekeeping is in the rearview mirror.  Which one fits for you and your location?  Only you can make that call!

Charles