From:
Ruth Askren <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Feb 2017 23:09:23 -0800
> How are others faring?

First let me thank you all on this list for providing me with a constant
source of engaging and intelligent (usually!) discussion of my favorite
topics. And thanks Pete Borst especially for asking this question. Quite a
variety of locales!

I run a beekeeping service here in the Los Angeles area for homeowners,
restaurants and boutique farms. I'm taking care of 48 hives total, in 16
different locations, mostly in backyards but several on estates with 6+
each. I treated each yard based on its mite counts; in general I used
formic or thymol after honey harvest in early summer and oxalic dribble in
November before the rainy season started with brood-buildup on its heels.

Beekeeping here is a 12 month cycle, so we have very different issues than
those keeping where there is a true winter. We lose hives for reasons other
than cold.

We have losses during the "dearth"; the really hot weather from
August-September and sometimes October. I requeened during that time, 6
hives for aggressive (AHB) temperament- that seems to be when the mean ones
show up. In November I got queens from Hawaii and requeened another 5 hives
for losses from bad placement (too much shade/damp or unresolved issues
with watering systems) and 5 more for unexplained losses (dinks).

So out of 48 hives I had to requeen 16, a 33% loss.

Ruth

--
The Hive Tribe. Beekeeping at Your Place <http://www.thehivetribe.com/>