Date:
Thu, 25 Apr 2019 14:21:59 -0400
Hi Howdy
Here's another question about honey plants. Does anyone have a story to tell about a particular honey that was spectacular, odd, or nasty?

My favorite honey is Yellow Ironbark. I first tasted it in a small batch of honey extracted in San Diego, where there are many varieties of eucalyptus. I never had it again until someone gave me a little jar from Australia. I think it is buttery, rich and mysterious.

The nastiest honey I ever heard of was some sort of agave that blooms out in the desert east of San Diego. When it came into bloom, the beekeepers emptied their tanks and got ready for it. All of the honey was packed and sold as a lot, bakery grade they called it. They told me when it was being extracted the whole place smelled like rotten fish.

I had buckwheat honey as a kid, so for me it has a good taste. Others think it's rank. I guess it's like Marmite, if you didn't learn to like it early on, you probably won't.