Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Mar 2019 16:34:17 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (13 lines)
Hi Peter,

Thanks again for pointing me to this BEE-L community.
From the links in this thread, I spent a few hours reading the referenced papers (plus a bunch more). I started putting together some material (some of my own microscopy pictures) and will do a bit more digging. I am not a microbiologist either so using google image searches and educated guesses I will be putting together a library of images for my area. I will need to centrifuge out the sediments from my honey to get more representative observations.
https://www.northof60beekeeping.com/north-of-60-research-projects/honeydew-honey

One thing I quickly discovered is that the fried egg looking rust spores are actually a HDE (Honeydew trace element). The page linked above has a few pictures of my sick hive (Nosema C). You will notice Urediniospores sp in abundance (fried eggs) and Alternaria sp (Cattails). As Tracey stated, I also don't think Honeydew honey causes Nosema but due to the increased defecation required (more indigestible) and my location lack of cleansing flight opportunities I see more dysentery inside the hive. This will spread the infection much more quickly. The other observation, I noticed (picture at bottom of linked page) is the increased mortality due to Nosema and the bee guts were also alot "fuller" than the adjacent hives bee guts sampled. The reason I like knowing what is killing my bees is that if I ignore Nosema, the infection can spread. I will be transferring the remaining bees from the infected hive into a smaller poly nuc boxe once the weather warms a bit more. It will be quarantined and all the old equipment will get disinfected prior to re-use.

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2