From:
Charles Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Mar 2018 12:19:22 -0500

> If we all choose to watch say  Fox news,  does that mean we have a bottle neck of shows?  Or that we simply choose that channel?   It seems to me in this case we choose to accept  these queens  as the best for our needs,  not because we have no genetic choice,  but because we like the traits?

Charles, I think you are misunderstanding the issue of a genetic bottleneck.  The problem isn’t so much with the traits that bee breeders are directly selecting for and paying attention to.

I don’t think so,  looking at the "textbook definition"  they all claim pretty much the same thing.  "limited availability for selection"

As I see it that in no way applies to our populations or situations.   We choose certain breeds,  and are no way constrained by lack of diversity.....??

I understand what your saying,  but it seems to me the "textbook definition"  is in no way applicable to our choices.  I can choose AHB,  or Russians  of many others,  to modify my gene pool,  but I do not want to,  so is that a bottleneck?   It doesn’t seem to me that it is at all the situation.    There are zero restrictions on us,  and we also know from the work Pete cited,  that there seems to be no restrictions in the alleles,  but simple a choice that we think is more popular.   In that case trying to use the term we are debating,  seems to me to be odd at beast  and pretty inaccurate?  Trying to understand why Randy or others thinks it applies,  and how they come to that thought process,  ( or get them to see it differently of course)

It seems painting breeders with a brush to claim bottlenecks,  when they do a lot to get new genetics, and are responding to customer wants,  is a bit misleading,  given the research we have,  it seems to be a self propagating myth.

Charles