From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Mar 2017 22:57:29 -0400
You may be able to get these into a long bed pickup.  Don't rent a trailer to pull behind a pickup - the jiggling and bouncing of most small trailers is hard on the packages.  If I use a pickup drawn trailer, I go with dual axles on the trailer.  If you can, turn the packages so that the queen cages are pointed away from the wind flow across the load as you drive.  Otherwise, the cluster may move away from the queen.  Obviously, be sure that there's some room on both screen sides of the packages for air.  Too much cool air isn't near the problem that over-heating and little or no air is.  I like a relatively open rack - like a cattle stock rack.  I then carry tarps and bungee cords.   If it's on the cold side, pull the tarp over the load and stretch tight, but leave the back open.  If it gets hot and sunny, fold the tarp back to increase air flow, but do try to protect the packages on the side that's mainly facing the sun.

With reasonable air flow generated by driving at highway speeds, I've transported bees across the US in weather in the 90s, with maybe a cup of bees drop.  But, I placed a water tank on the tongue of the dual axle trailer, laid drip tubing over the top of the load, and used a sprayer pump to push water through the misters.   When we were moving, I had wireless temp probes in the cab to monitor load temp.  Getting a bit warm in full sun, I'd push a button to energize the pump, give the bees a mist, cooled them right down - as long as we were moving with good air flow.  Pull in on a hot afternoon to refuel, and in 10 minutes the load temp was climbing rapidly.  I had a small generator and fans that aimed down between the rows that I would turn on whenever we stopped.  For an across the US trip, I had an alternative AC extension cord - we'd drive until sun set, find a motel with an outside outlet, and plug in for the night.

It may seem counter-intuitive, but driving in the day light is safer, easier on the driver, and keeps the bees cooler than parked in a parking lot, or shade of trees on a hot humid day.  At night, its usually safe to stop with the load, less likely to overheat, even without drippers or fans.

The other option is to rent a Budget or other enclosed van with a walk thru from the cab.  That's how I hauled bees from Moutrie, GA to Edgewood, MD.  Something like a 12 ft van has more than enough space, and you can open cab windows or turn the cab air on to help keep the load cooler.  I don't recommend leaving the roll-up door open or partially open, unless you are sure that the exhaust isn't going to be sucked back into the van due to turbulence.