From:
Steve Rose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Jan 2017 09:13:48 +0000
> Curious  what was the test standard/ grading scale and method?

When the student came to my own apiary she had a 3 foot long cane and a
set of ziploc bags, each containing a rectangle of black suede measuring
about 3 inches by 4 inches. The suede had previously been soaked in  a
measured amount of isopentyl acetate.  She asked me to remove supers
down to the point where the brood frame top bars were exposed.  She then
attached the suede to the the end of the cane, like a flag, and jiggled
it quite violently immediately above the frames.  She then waited for
the first sting and continued for a further 60 seconds.  After the 60
seconds she moved away and I smoked off any adhering bees so she could
return the suede to the ziploc bag.  She was planning to count the
stings back in the lab. The colonies that refused to sting the suede at
all were scored a zero.  Apparently, before arriving at the final
testing protocol she had tried other materials and colours for the
"flag" and had also tried jiggling it in front of the entrance but she
found she was scoring too many zeros.

Juanse, as it was an undergraduate study I am not sure if it will be
published but if the results are made public I will report back to you.
I am fairly sure that I will get a copy of the results though and will
ask if I can share them.

Steve Rose N. Wales

---