Content-Transfer-Encoding:
quoted-printable
In-Reply-To:
Content-Type:
text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
Charles Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (32 lines)
I should apologize,  I replied to Randys question at the same time I was writing a proposal for the project worded for "non beekeepers"  while at lunch I realized I left out detailed thoughts that you guys will understand.

Honey,  production from regions which would be standard,  based on say starting with a single, and 5 frames of brood,  and then monitoring flying days or hours or something?  With todays tech we may be able to calculate based in bee flights?  Not sure how that can be correlated long term unless we also include some forage value?  Maybe all based on 30 days in canola?? 

Agrresion.  A good standard,  any of us with commercial hives can tell you we can set hives on edge by working them,  or we can keep them mellow.  Having some standard measuring and comparision, such as  "double deep on a good nectar flow" (nucs tend to be calmer)  Might point out some of those texas mite restiant are pretty mean.  I know one who sells pollinator specials  that will score pretty dang high.  Wootens are going to be shirt sleeve queens.

Maybe Dicks "anti swarmy" deserves a score?

Brood production?  Maybe based on starting with X bees and allowed unlimted brood nest? Feed or pollen measured??

Pollen production  easy to trap!  Set standards for time frame and forager force.

Pehdal claims EFB restiant,  One GA producer is kind of know for chalkbrood.

And of course as we progress,  mite tolerance or restiance.  Some sort of standard to eliminate bogus claims, as well as establish a common langiage.  May include hive size?  Lots of variables that others besides me need to decide or input.

There are other traits people look for,  setting the standard,  and then seeing where your bee generally fits on that scale,  so having a matrix established  is my thought process and goal.  The market will then decide what really matters and is important.

Charles

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2