Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Jan 2017 08:51:26 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (26 lines)
Wow, lots of great discussion and info.

To clarify (since some seemed to think I said SHB larvae actually came in on the pollen patties):  I asked the question IF they could have come in that way, since I found larvae on a patty and had never seen them before.  It has been made clear to me that it is very unlikely they came in that way, and I apologize, if my question was interpreted as a statement.  The last thing I want to do is start another Internet myth.  Elvis and Jim Morrison told me that is a bad idea.

The question was asked: "Why feed pollen patties at all?"  As I mentioned in my original post, for whatever reason - global climate change, local climate change, the anger of the Old Gods, the idiosyncrasies of the Cold, Uncaring Universe - in the 26+ years I've lived in New Hampshire, I have seen a change in the pattern of bloom, especially in the fall.  Goldenrod and asters start sooner and finish up earlier, and it is taking longer for true winter to set in.  So, from late September until late November (or even later), there is no forage, and the bees are still active.  So, to try to keep the brood cycle going, so the colonies are strong in spring (first pollen usually starts coming in late March/early April), I feed patties and syrup.  Some colonies eat the patties and some leave them, but I figure it is a small price to pay for a little insurance.

A suggestion was made to use half patties.  I am going to do that going forward.  FWIW, I only saw the larvae on one patty, and that was a half patty in a nuc I started late with an extra queen I had.   I had thought they would certainly gobble it up, but they didn't touch it, whether because the SHB got to it first or not, I do not know.  I DO know that the frames I used to make up the nuc looked fine.  That's why I suspected the patty, since I started with a small, empty box, and added frames I had inspected carefully, when setting up the nuc.  But, with my eyes, heck, there could have been a raccoon in there, and I might not have seen it.

Another suggestion was to freeze the patties before using them, just as a precaution (especially if another beetle and not SHB).  We have a couple of large chest freezers and definitely have the space, so that is something else I will do before the next feeding.

Another suggestion was to put out dry pollen substitute, so the bees can bring it back to the hive.  I would be interested to know, if folks do that, how successful is the practice?

Another suggestion was that they might not have been SHB at all, and instead were larvae of another beetle.  I will be checking very carefully come spring and will report what I find.

Not a suggestion, but some folks wrote that they start feeding patties in mid-late winter to kick-start the bees.  I have always waited until at least early March (primarily because I didn't want to open the hives in the deep cold), but may start sooner, maybe during a warm spell in February.  Thoughts?

Again, thanks to everyone for all the great input, both here and via email.  This old dog has learned a few new tricks in the past few days.  An excellent example of the value of this list.

Bill
Claremont, NH US

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2