From:
Peter Loring Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Jan 2017 17:25:10 -0500
> the surfactant and most sprays are not to supposed to be sprayed during bloom ... I would also add,  that to my knowledge the big cases of CCD first reported were Doan and Hackeburgs,  which are east coast bees that were not in almonds....(they may use the same stuff on other crops though)

Chris Mullin wrote in 2010

> Growers of many bee-pollinated crops routinely apply fungicides during bloom, *while pollinators are present* as there are currently no label restrictions for this action. Thus it may not be surprising that fungicides account for most of the pesticide content of pollen...

> The widespread occurrence of multiple residues, some at toxic levels for single compounds, and the lack of any scientific literature on the biological consequences of combinations of pesticides, argues strongly for urgent changes in regulatory policies regarding pesticide registration and monitoring procedures as they relate to pollinator safety.

So, the die-offs could be related to spraying in Florida

Last year (2016) Chris Mullin et al wrote:

> Organosilicone surfactants are the most potent adjuvants and super-penetrants available to growers. Based on the California Department of Pesticide Regulation data for agrochemical applications to almonds, there has been increasing use of adjuvants, particularly organosilicone surfactants, *during bloom when two-thirds of USA honey bee colonies are present.*

> Increased tank-mixing of these with ergosterol biosynthesis inhibitors and other fungicides, and with insect growth regulator insecticides may be associated with recent USA honey bee declines.

Mullin, Christopher A., et al. "Toxicological risks of agrochemical spray adjuvants: organosilicone surfactants may not be safe." Frontiers in public health 4 (2016).

Chris Mullin has been studying agrochemicals and particularly surfactants for decades. I don't think he is making this stuff up

PLB