From:
Charles Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Jan 2017 14:14:43 -0600
I posed that question primarily for an example of an often asked, very general question.  Not to offend anyone in the business. Not to specifically target migratory operations and all the different aspects of them.

I don't think anyone is offended!  Pretty rare here actually.  Most people here understand its all good discussion,  even when we disagree.  I was agreeing with you!  Migratory and pollination both are "different animals" to concur.  I got good at stationary beekeeping.  Still working on the other.  Its quite a different picture in management, and given my location personally not much for resources to query.

The problem I am having in answering Randys questions is different,  I can pop a dozen in 10 minutes that are personal questions I want answers to,  but I am trying to really think big picture.  What research will help beekeepers as a whole move forward?  Not just silly things like how do I better manage my issues?

There is a ton of pesticide work that needs to be expounded on,  nutritional information we need,  info on best practices for moving hives,  how to better manage shipping queens,  what does sperm counts really mean to queen successes,  are pesticides in comb really an issue,  do I really need winter bees in CA?   etc.....

But whats bugging me more is the big picture...  Right now the question in my head is queen evaluation from a genetic standpoint.
Last year a member here wanted some queens,  I asked  "what kind?"  the response was  "don't care as long as it lays eggs"  While fully appreciating that need and understanding it,  as an industry we are in that mode.  We have been for decades (yes I know some are not but as a whole)

As a result I do wonder if we are shooting ourselves in the foot?  How do we really evaluate queens and genetics from region to region breed to breed?  Are our queens now better or worse than 20 years ago?(leaving the quality breeding portion as a given)  are we making genetic progress towards a goal?  Heck I don't even think we can fairly define "mean" let alone honey production, or brood production.  The recent discussion on restiance vs tolerance was a good highlight of that.  As a group we seem to be a mess.  ( quick note the Russian breeders may be on to something based on this months BC)

So towards that thought is my goal of defining what question to really ask for help with?  Harder than it sounds at first!

Charles