From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Jan 2017 11:09:14 -0800
> >Where the differences lie is in prior bee health from different regions
> in the fall.

And that's the key issue.  As you say, there is no single formula.  If the
bees are on a good fall pollen flow, the beekeeper need do little, other
than ensure plenty of honey stores and a good wintering location.

On the other hand, as with you and Adam,  we had a warm fall with little
pollen.  Good pollen sub at this time (in enough quantity) can work
miracles, provided the colonies can expand their broodnests prior to cold
weather hitting.  It's all about timing.

 >This season due to that warm spell  we tried dry pollen sub,  which the
bees collected in earnest. short term was more brood,  but as the research
would indicate the bees were short lived,  and the dwindle after freeze has
been severe.

That's exactly why I initiated that research.

> seem to have continually booming hives with little to no apparent
dwindle.  obviously to a commercial beek this scenario poses risk  as
continual boom means severe risk for starvation and  queen burnout...So the
goal is to find that best balance,

Exactly!  Each beekeeper can work with what he's got as far as honeyflows,
pollen flows, and temperatures.  I'm also concerned about queen burnout, as
well as mite production, from unnecessary protein feeding (not to mention
the cost and hassle).  It also depends upon what one plans to do with his
bees immediately after almond bloom.

>So the goal is to find that best balance, Feeding wet sub, if the cited
> research is to be believed, would be of no help what so ever,

I feel that you may have badly misinterpreted the research.

> > but yet I can cite 3 beeks who do exactly that with great success on
> very large scales.  For example Keith Jarrett starts wet feed almost ad
> libium  in Nov.  certainly under slightly different weather conditions, but
> to great success.

You can count me and most of the best almond pollinators that I know in the
same group.

> >We have a group of research that shows,  as above fall feeding is a waste
> as long as bee bread is present.

That was not my interpretation of the research at all!

> > We are as a group the only AG group I am aware of who's yields are
> dropping,  and success has not improved dramatically over the last decades.

I also find this to be a point of concern.  I'm pushing our research
funding organizations to support more practical research on hive management.

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA