Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 16 May 2017 08:09:59 -0400
Subject:
Sender:
From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
> I would ask anyone that thinks that workers can move eggs to explain how physically are these eggs attached to the new cell.

This was worked out years ago by Steve Taber:

Forceps modified from ordinary dissecting forceps can be used
successfully to move cggs of any age of the honey bee (Apia mellifera
L.). Two factors are critical in the design. The opening at
the lips should be 0.23 mm., and the underside of the forceps at
the tips must be flared to prevent contact with the posterior
sticky end of the egg. About 75% hatch of the eggs transferred
will be expected whether they are developed inside the hive or
in the incubator. The forceps are illustrated by photographs.

Transfer or "grafting" 12- to 24-hour larvae of honey bees has been practiced for many years in commercial queen production. A special forceps has been designed which now permits successful transfer of the eggs from their cells to new locations without injury. After these eggs have been removed, they are placed upright on the desired surface with the same sidewise motion. Eggs occasionally will stick to the forceps instead of to the new surface. 'When this happens, the forceps must be cleaned by gentle rubbing with a soft cloth.

Forceps Design for Transferring Honey Bee Eggs
STEPHEN TABER, III, Entomology Research Division, Agric. Res. Serv., U.S.D.A., Baton Rouge, La.
JOURNAL OF ECONOMIC ENTOMOLOGY Vol. 54, No. 12