From:
Bill Hesbach <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Dec 2016 20:49:07 -0500
PLB via Bee World >The complex genetic composition of a colony makes it difficult to determine the criteria at which natural selection operates, nor does it allow us to comprehend the process of natural selection.

Peter,
I went back and read the article in Bee World, can you help flesh this out a little. In the context of this article, what do you think the author was getting at?  I'm wondering why the process of natural selection should be comprehensible to begin with, except maybe in hindsight.

On bee breeding-
I'm having a hard time reconciling the effort to breed local queens when it seems like I consistently lose to the fragility of desirable traits when queens out-cross. I don't have the isolated geography that would allow for a population of drones to hold the traits I want, nor do I think I could select for those drones.