From:
Bill Hesbach <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Dec 2016 18:05:45 -0500
Cam> Not sure how but it does work. Took some 19% honey to 17% with this method.

I did some digging and can't find the science why capped honey would exchange moisture with the atmosphere, but I did find more than one account of the process drying out capped honey (see below). I'd really like to know the science since honey is a stable product that has an indefinant life. I assume that if capped honey can lose moisture in a low humidity environment it can also pickup moisture through the cap in high humidity and eventually ferment.

Carl Killion ABJ  January issue 1950

"The Humidry was placed in our comb room and turned on August 21 at 4:30 p.m. The outside temperature was about 85 degrees and humidity 66 per cent. There were 130 supers in the room at the time, also the chemical units which had been there for several days. These units were removed when the Humidry was turned on. A sample of honey was removed from a section to take a water content; it showed 21.0 per cent (sample A). On September 1, sample B was taken and showed 18.6 per cent; sample C taken on September 13, showed only 17.1 per cent. Here was the proof! We had removed moisture from the comb! Temperature and humidity readings were recorded twice daily during our test, water was weighted daily. From 4:30 p.m. August 21 to 8 p.m. September 13 we removed 222 ½ pounds of water from the Humidry. During this period the average temperature of the room was 79 plus F. and humidity 32 minus per cent.

"After using the Humidry another season we should have a better report to make for we know this machine has a permanent place in our moisture control program. It should find a place with producers of cut comb and chunk comb, and even with the extracted honey producer who wants quality instead of quantity. We think we originated the idea that if excess moisture is removed from any honey the flavor is improved; if we did not originate it, we firmly believe in it."--Carl Killion, Honey in the Comb Chapter V"