From:
Peter Loring Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Nov 2016 12:04:58 -0500
> Looking to use it not for mites but to knock down SHB. My theory at the moment is Flumethrin is better than cumaphous and its residues.

Flumethrin products (Bayvarol) are not approved for bees in the US. So far as I can see, it's use on bees in the US or Canada would be illegal. Also, using any product for purposes other than those on the label is illegal. Finally, using a flumethrin to treat for beetles would generate pytrethrin resistance in the mites, rendering it useless for its original purpose.

from Scientific Beekeeping:

> The only registered (and therefore, legal) use of pyrethroids in beehives in the U.S. is in the form of Apistan strips (first released in 1990). The strips are a proven product that provides a measured, slow release of fluvalinate, in a safe form for the beekeeper to handle. Off-label use of agricultural fluvalinate does not.

I realize that off label use of pesticides is common among beekeepers, always has been. But I don't think it should be recommended in a public forum, without mentioning that it is against the law. These laws are designed to protect people from the unscrupulous.

PLB