From:
Charles Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Apr 2016 19:38:52 -0500

That's not how I interpret Harris' or Mattila's data.  There is no anticipation.  Diutinus bees are not "raised"--- the physiological change comes *after* emergence, cued by lack of fresh incoming pollen and brood pheromone.

Understand  and agree the change comes after emergence,   but what if its not a pollen issue?  Here in my area we get fine winter bees,  but pollen comes in a steady all fall,  and in fact oct is easy to become pollen bound.  So its not a lack of pollen at all.

What if it’s the fact they are not depleting body reserves by being nurse bees....??  what if that "lack of task" is what triggers the differences?