From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 May 2017 21:17:18 -0400
Hi all
Here is a specific example of how COLOSS addresses the problem of lack of standards, and offers a workable solution:

Over a few decades, varroa has spread to most countries exploiting A. mellifera. As a consequence, a large number of teams have worked with this organism, developing a diversity of research methods. Often different approaches have been followed to achieve the same goal. The diversity of methods made the results difficult to compare, thus hindering our understanding of this parasite.

In this paper, we provide easy to use protocols for the collection, identification, diagnosis, rearing, breeding, marking and measurement of infestation rates and fertility of V. destructor. We also describe experimental protocols to study orientation and feeding of the mite, to infest colonies or cells and measure the mite’s susceptibility to acaricides.

We have described pros and cons for all methods for the user to know which method to use under which circumstances. These methods could be embraced as standards by the community when designing and performing research on V. destructor.

Dietemann, Vincent, et al. "Standard methods for varroa research." Journal of apicultural research 52.1 (2013): 1-54.