From:
Karla Eisen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Feb 2017 21:34:51 -0500
Mid Atlantic.
So far I am under 10% and most losses in the nucs not the full size colonies.  I treated in mid to late summer and again in Fall and I am hopeful that is what made the biggest difference. We had quite a dry spell last late summer and Fall after a terrible rainy Spring, so stores were an issues for many  However we are used to needing to feed aggressively in August and September.  Some areas, however, had the best Fall flow I have ever seen. One new yard I visited today still had top box of honey and honey down below.  I run 2D1M so honey in early March is not that unusual.  A warm winter so far so we are brooding like crazy already here- pollen coming in- most of mine I looked at today had brood already in the bottom box- a few with drone cells even, although not any- this I expect to translate to high mite counts and I am advising folks to plan for Spring mite treatments (and early swarming).  Hope this helps.  K