From:
Justin Kay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jan 2017 13:54:01 -0500

> I'll toss a question into the mix. Randy's explanation of the new OA
treatment method seems very intriguing. I plan on trying it this year. But
using OA alone is bad news bears. You need another treatment to mix with
it. Something that is inexpensive and effective. Formic comes to mind for
me. MAQS have never given me a great result. Home brew appears to be the
way to go.

Specifically, after suggestions from another member off list, I tried the
WVa method.  http://anr.ext.wvu.edu/r/download/37598 Which worked better
than the plain shop towel method. But significant variation exists between
the size of the dosage, the exterior temp highs, and the size of the
colony. The creation of a sliding table (one for singles, one for 1.5's,
and one for doubles) that compares exterior temps on one side with dosage
size (50% formic with HBH added), dialed in to create maximum varroa kill
with minimal bee death, would go a long way to create a very viable second
treatment option.