From:
brian cuttler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Aug 2016 14:40:52 +0000
# Don't need it.  Bee-Quick is distilled from food that is "fit for human
# consumption".  (I have several trough-parabolic tracking solar collectors
# that super-heat a thermal-transfer fluid to drive the stills, so pollution
# is zero, and my energy bill is near zero, but my liability insurance premium
# is breathtaking, as running a semi-automated, self-designed, self-built...

# Given that it is made from food, there is no question that it may come into
# "close contact with food".  The good news is that it is also approved for
# use in Certified Organic Beekeeping by multiple certification agencies who
# do the certification work under USDA authorization...

Been interesting, and I have greatly enjoyed the chemistry lesson.
I think the argument about dripping from the fume board is worth noting,and while that would be a misuse (of any) chemical, certainly worthy ofconsideration.
Being who I am though, I have to point out that substances extracted fromhuman consumable food are not necessarily safe for human consumptionor food exposure.
The first item that comes to mind is apples. I can consume an entire applewith no consequences. But extraction and concentration of the cyanidein the seeds, which I can safely consume with the rest of the apple, is notsafe at all.
Specifics and merits of the case are important, there may or may not be validreason to question the FDA about their decision, and saying so is not arecommendation to ignore the law, but questioning it would be valid if onewanted or felt the chemical was in fact needed (lets construct an applicationbox which is drip proof and reapply for the exemption).
If you are going to argue end-points and limits you have to be willing to followthe method all the way around the block.