From:
Kelton Temby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Aug 2016 10:59:35 -0700

> But it takes a lot more than a bunch of data points to be valuable...
> Will it help shape the way we mentor??  Does it tell us anything that helps
> us be better beekeepers??

Disclosure: my company developed EyesOnHives - a camera-based automatic
beehive monitoring system which measures flight activity, and orientation
activity, and is for sale commercially. We don't compete with broodminder,
but can integrate sensors like broodminder to our platform.

Great discussion. We have found that monitoring flight activity data, and
identifying flight activity patterns including swarming, robbing, and
orientation is hugely informative of the health and queen status of a
beehive, and useful to beekeepers.

e.g. Flight activity increasing steadily when you think it should be,
assures a beekeeper the hive is normal.  When flight activity doesn't match
expectations, a beekeeper either identifies a problem, or learns something
new about their bees.

Measuring flight activity specifically and the distinct flight patterns so
far has proved to be 'clean' and useful data.  Providing the video behind
the data enables a sanity check, and has enabled beekeeping mentors to
communicate more effectively with other beekeepers.  E.g. 'that was robbing
activity in yesterday's video - you can tell by the ramp up and increased
activity over several hours, the battling bees in the beginning, and the
wax cappings coming out of the entrance visible in the timelapse'.

We're optimistic for the future of using technology to increase the level
of visibility a beekeeper has into hive health, improve access to data, and
share best practices.

*KELTON TEMBY*
www.keltronixinc.com