From:
Robert Darrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Apr 2016 09:09:25 -0400
On 15-Apr-16, at 6:21 AM, E.t. Ash wrote:

> I shall start off here by point out the obvious which is Mr Linder's
> statement (now repeated several times) is highly demeaning to anyone
> that does formally or informally measure a hive (or hives) weight.
> Which as far as my own experience goes includes every successful
> beekeeper I ever knew or worked for.  Perhaps someone is painting a
> clearer picture as to why some beekeepers fail or not?  That is
> management's failure to recognize and respond to basic ESSENTIAL data.

Hi ET and All

Apparently, there are over 60 varieties of goldenrod in Canada, each
blooming  during part of the period of late July to frost in late
September(here in southern Ontario).  The fields are yellow with it
for miles around, but the scales show little or no weight gain until
after Labour Day.  Only late varieties seem to produce surplus
nectar.  My previous post claimed 120 pound gains per week in mid
September.  Ministry of Ag recommend pulling supers in August  and
starting treatments and feeding then.  I know of several local beeks
who followed this advice then finding smaller cluster in late Sept/
early Oct (CCD?).  Once the brood box is packed, with no supers on
into the trees they go!  With a scale hive the daily gains/losses are
obvious.

Bob Darrell
Caledon Ontario
Canada