From:
Justin Kay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Feb 2016 07:59:46 -0500

> Its unfortunate in our society that we have come here  but automated
> sorting machines at UPS and USPS have taken away general customer care.
>
> I in no way claim myself to be an expert of UPS or USPS shipping systems,
but I don't think it's the automation that has caused the decrease in
service. I actually don't think it has been on the shipper's side at all. I
think changes in consumer thought patterns have changed things
dramatically.

Thirty years ago, the USPS handled with individual's mail. They knew the
person, and took care of their items. Most merchandise (other than mail
order catalogs) were shipped to retailers, on retail accounts. Now anyone
can go online and order whatever they want, big or small, and have it
shipped to their door. Most mailmen don't know who they are delivering
their items to, don't know what it is they are delivering, and frankly
don't care.

It used to be that if you needed an item, you'd order it. Whatever the cost
of the shipping was, well that's part of acquiring the item. Now, people go
online and look at the cost of the item and compare it to the cost of the
shipping (what? why would I pay 5.99 in shipping when the item only cost me
3.99?). I sell honey products online. Some in glass containers (I don't
like to ship glass, but most customers prefer it). I get alot of complaints
about shipping (a $10 item may cost $11 to ship). They want the USPS to
compete against UPS. The USPS is operating at a loss, but they are still
trying to be competitive.

The market is being more choosy on price, which means the shippers have to
cut back on cost. Lower cost means lower quality in the products they
provide.