Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 18 Aug 2016 23:31:36 -0400
Subject:
Sender:
From:
Peter Loring Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Hi all
Humans have been using smoke to subdue bees and wasps since before recorded history. The idea that it is unnecessary is misleading. Some people may be able to get away with opening hives without smoke, but then some people can rebuild automobile engines. Is is worth the bother? I don't think so.

Beekeepers have always been practical. When Moses Quinby of New York State devised the first practical bee smoker in 1853 (Morse, 1954) he changed beekeeping from a cottage industry to a major profession by which many people gained a far better living than most others engaged in rural enterprises.

A beekeeper without the possession of and the skill to use a bee smoker is like a carpenter without a decent electric saw. Sure, you can do all sorts of work without it but it would take forever, and it would never pay. Some beekeepers are like gardeners that putter endlessly with fussy roses; others want to put food on the table.

Besides which, what is the big deal about getting stung? I don't avoid getting stung except in the eyes. And then, mostly because a swollen eye compromises my good looks. Being stung on a regular basis is the best protection against a bad reaction to being stung. And, it may also be have other beneficial effects on human health. I believe it does, but don't quote me on it.

PLB