From:
Janet Baker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Jan 2017 14:21:08 -0500
Our experience in NW CT (Litchfield) was somewhat similar to others in the
2016 summer.

Spring flow was above average, but very late. Fall flow was virtually
non-existent. Whatever little honey left in the supers was fed back to the
bees and about 9/27/16 we started to feed 2:1 sugar water and treated with
Hopguard (2nd time - 1st was in August). Honey stores were very low, and we
kept feeding until they wouldn't take any more - 4 to 7 gallons each,
average about 5.5 gals. - up to the end of October when they had 8 to 10
frames of honey in the top brood box.

Pollen supplies, on the other hand, were quite good, but I don't know the
quality.

I haven't checked the hives recently, but most show some flight activity on
warm days.

Starting the night of November 28th through December 3rd, bears took out our
fours colonies at the Litchfield Community Gardens. Guess they are short of
food, too.

Good luck.

John Baker

52 Headquarters Road