From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Jul 2016 20:50:54 -0400
We did something similar back in the late 90s.  One of our students stumbled on it using a Dremel tool to make a notch in a frame for a temperature probe.  We were going to name it after him  - the Lenny Principle.  But a bit of digging brought up references to people dragging a finger-nail over a surface (like on a chalkboard) to get the response.

 It's frequency related, and we could freeze bees on up to 5 frames, hold them frozen for up to two minutes.  Like Jim, we induced it both by vibration of the frame(s) and by airborne sounds.  We used a frequency analyzer and a sound generator, and we had the same thought about its uses as an alternative to a smoker; and we discovered the same logistical problem.  Still, we had fun using it as a parlor trick with our 5-Frame Observation hive.

What always amazed me was how fast they all froze and how many bees froze - it was like throwing a switch.