From:
Paul Hosticka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Jan 2017 12:28:04 -0500
Yes Juanse, Strictly foretic in a standard sample as you describe. Your math looks pretty good to me concerning the capped mites and a standard error. I'm sure that an actual total infestation of 3% would be tolerable but obviously we can't know the real number for sure so an agreed upon testing protocol allows us all to communicate meaningfully. In my opinion what is important is to use whatever ones testing method exactly the same each time. What is most revealing is the change and treatments can be determined by historic success.

All of us geezers remember when colonies could tolerate very much higher levels of varroa and that level has diminished considerably with the increase of DWV and other viruses. So, right-on Charlie lets fight DWV, got any good ideas?

Paul Hosticka
Dayton WA