From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Jun 2016 12:31:50 -0400

Truck running, boat swaying.  We did a DARPA test of bees flying from boats some years ago.  Very hush, hush.  First day, with inclement weather, hives loaded but did not go out onto ocean.  Up and down movement kept bees in - none were flying, few even stuck their heads out.  After 24-48 hrs, they got used to the rocking, resumed foraging - from the boat.

When we returned the hives to the beekeeper that we rented them from, we had one set that the Army was using on land, and the  boat set.  The on-land bees didn't want to be moved and loaded - were defensive.  The boat bees didn't care if we hoisted them up, dropped them on truck - it was the norm for them to have the hive moving.