HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Misty Jackson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Apr 2015 16:13:00 -0400
Chris,

After reading your article in Historical Archaeology on this topic, I have a related question about witch bottles. Are you or anyone on this list serve familiar with any examples of glass bottles/bottle bases incorporated in stone foundations? There is an example in Hillsdale County, Michigan along US12. I've thought for years that it seems a strange thing to include in a foundation and could not see how had anything to do with the need for building materials, stabilizing, etc. I figured it was simply a fluke, but now maybe not.

Misty

Misty Jackson, Ph.D., RPA
Arbre Croche Cultural Resources,
www.arbrecroche.com