HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Lyle E. Browning" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Nov 2014 18:05:35 -0500
In the contract world, ineligible sites are obliterated normally so the artifacts are the only record of them having existed. One needs to do statistics on the number of "write-off" sites versus those recommended for Phase II (again leaving aside those semantic issues). Therefore, it is essential that identification wherever done, be done accurately. In-field examination is fine, except that washing isn't typically accomplished there (leaving aside the issues of whether to wash or not to wash in some areas). In-field cataloging is now possible due to electronic devices, provided it's accurate.

Or do we bring them back to the lab, wash/process/analyze them and then dump them back into a hole in the site or do we put them back into the STU from whence they came or what?

No contract archaeologist has anything to do with selling artifacts as that is absolutely verboten by ethical standards. Period.

As a practical aside, catch and release is a response to "what do we do with no storage space" problems. 30 years ago the Brits were proposing to bag entire artifact assemblages and to bury them in designated archaeological landfills as the repositories were then bulging. Nowadays, the SHPO storage facilities I've dealt with seem also full to bulging and cost is always a factor in storage.

So back to what happens to the site is to me the issue. If it is to be preserved, or whether it is to be obliterated, those are the bifurcating path. And that leaves entirely out of the discussion the possibilities that scientific analysis of those artifacts at some later date when funding or opportunity allows. One lives in hope that some benighted soul with a PXRF machine will see an opportunity.

Lyle Browning, RPA