HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Sarah Cowie <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sarah Cowie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Nov 2014 23:05:08 +0000
Ian and Histarchers,

These are all excellent questions, and I think Lucy’s descriptionof methods reflects what little I know about the practice, too.  There seems to be very little standardizationor even discussion of it, because it's comparatively new.  I don’t know the archaeological institutions’(SHA, RPA, SAA, ACRA, etc.) take on it; I have not seen them formally addressit.

I learned about it when a THPO that we are collaborating with requested it.  Our SHPO informed us that it occasionally happens in California (any California HISTARCHers out there experiencedthis?), and Nevada SHPO approved it for my two projects.  Both were testing large, predominately 19th/20th-century sites (a hospital and a school) with very low-density lithic scatters. The THPO requested that we rebury lithics and flaked glass. We cleaned, cataloged and photographed (and sometimes illustrated) those materials (only about 10-20 artifacts per project) in the field lab, and then returned them to the units from which they were excavated, photographing them again in the bottom of the test units, in the datum corners.

It sounds like a practice that is on the rise, and it wouldbe good to know more about it.  I imagine the methods and repercussions would vary depending on project phase, research design, period of the site, and stakeholders' input among others considerations.  I hopeothers might offer some references (gray literature or otherwise) for projectsthat have done this.

Best regards,

Sarah

Sarah E.Cowie
Assistant Professor