HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Ashley Long <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Nov 2014 21:43:52 -0600
Hello everyone,

My name is Ashley Long, and I am a graduate student in archaeology at the
University of Nevada, Reno. I have been working with Dr. Sarah Cowie and
local tribal members and organizations on a collaborative archaeology
project, and am extending this to some of my coursework. I am currently
working on a paper reviewing the shift towards "catch and release"
archaeology in CRM today, where artifacts such as lithics are reburied at
the sites as soon as possible.  This involves minimal recording in the
field and precludes more in-depth analyses like sourcing.   There are
certainly trade-offs for this practice.  My particular interest is in how
these methods are changing the relationships between archaeologists and
local communities.

Does anyone know of any other published or gray literature that addresses
this practice? From what I understand it happens occasionally in California
and is becoming more common in Nevada.

Any references or keywords you can point me toward would be most
appreciated, as would any additional contacts that you think might help.

Here is a list of what I have found so far:

Gonzalez, Sara L. and Darren Modzelewski, Lee M. Panich, and Tsim D.
Schneider

2006 Archaeology for the Seventh Generation. *American Indian Quarterly*
30(3/4): 388-415

Lightfoot, Kent G., Rob Q. Cuthrell, Chuck J. Striplen, and Mark G. Hylkema

2013 Rethinking the Study of Landscape Management: Practices Among
Hunter-Gatherers in North America. *American Antiquity* 78(2).

Maldonado, Doris Julissa

2011 *Reconfiguring Archaeological Practice: Lessons from Currusté,
Honduras*. Ph.D dissertation, Department of Anthropology, University of
California, Berkeley.

Modzelewski, Darren and Sara Gonzalez.

2007 Creating Trails Through Traditions: An Update on the Kashaya Pomo
Interpretive Trail, Fort Ross State Historic Park. *Proceedings of the
Society for California Archaeology, Vol. 20: 23-26.*

Todd, L.C. and P.C. Burnett

2003 Archaeological Catch and Release: Expanding Data Capture for
Archaeological Catch and Release: Expanding Data Capture for Non-Collection
Survey. Poster Presented at the 61st Plains Anthropological Conference.

Voss, Barbara L.

2012 Curation as Research: A Case Study in Orphaned and Underreported
Archaeological Collections.  *Archaeological Dialogues* 19(2): 145-169.

Best,

Ashley M. Long

Graduate Student

Department of Anthropology