HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Patrick Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Sep 2014 10:03:45 -0400
Back in the 80's we found a white clay pipe in a laborer's house at
Fayette, MI, an iron-smelting village (1867-1891) on northern Lake
Michigan, with a buck on one side of the bowl and a cannon on the other....
cannot remember the details, but learned somehow that this was a campaign
pipe for James Buchanan's 1856 run for the Presidency.
PEM

--
*Patrick E. Martin, PhD*

*Professor of Archaeology and ChairPresident, The International Committee
for the Conservation of the Industrial Heritage*
*Department of Social Sciences*
*Michigan Technological University*
*Houghton, MI  USA  49931*
*(906) 487-2070*