HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Corey McQuinn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Sep 2014 12:46:39 +0000
We recently found a tobacco pipe made for one of Benjamin Harrison's presidential campaigns (1888-1892) behind a grocery store/saloon in one of Albany, NY's poorer Irish communities at the time. I am looking for other examples of Benjamin Harrison (or other presidential pipes) in archaeological contexts, possibly for a paper topic. Take a look at pages 22 and 23 of the linked article for an example of what they look like. The pipe had Ben's face on one side and an eagle and shield on the other. Protection for American Labor was embossed on the stem. If you know your history, Harrison presided over the Homestead riots in Pennsylvania just months before his re-election campaign, and we all know how that turned out. Thanks! https://www.uark.edu/campus-resources/archinfo/SCHACPresidentPipes.pdf

Corey McQuinn, RPA
Project Director/Marketing Manager

Hartgen Archeological Associates, Inc.
1744 Washington Ave Ext | Rensselaer NY 12144
p. 706.850.7509 | m. 518.364.2650
hartgen.com<http://www.hartgen.com/> | newsletter<http://tinyurl.com/hartgen-newletter> | facebook<http://www.facebook.com/hartgeninc>