HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Benjamin Carter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Jul 2014 09:09:06 -0400
Dear Histarchers,

Please share the following with anyone who may be interested and
apologies for crossposting.

The Curriculum Committee of the Society for American Archaeology invites
proposals to present for a poster session we are sponsoring at the SAA
meeting in San Fransisco (April 15-19, 2015) entitled, "Teaching
Archaeology in the Twenty-First Century: Activities for the College
Classroom." We are looking for presenters who would like to share
activities they have used in the college classroom- not just college
professors, but anyone who has taught college-level students using
activities (graduate students, guest lecturers, etc.). The intent of the
session is more about having a place to share materials, imperfect as
they may be, with others who would find them useful than it is to
provide perfect, publishable (and therefore static) activities. In other
words, we would like you to join us in sharing activities that you have
both found useful and those that you hope will be useful, but are not
completely happy with yet. We hope that, as part of the poster you would
suggest modifications for different types of college courses (e.g.,
large lecture v. small discussion or introductory level v. advanced) or
that you have considered but not yet implemented. We do ask that you
bring handouts and any ancillary materials that you may use with your
students. And, we also request that you connect your activity directly
to the Principles for Curricular Reform (see abstract below).

Here's the abstract:
Hands-on activities are one of the best tools available to promote
complex problem-solving in student-centered archaeology classrooms. Yet,
original activities are difficult to devise, requiring a substantial
time commitment and, frequently, multiple iterations before maturing
into a productive learning tool. Frequently, activities originating
within a limited circle of colleagues are adapted and revised to fit
diverse academic situations and instructors, but are not widely
distributed. This poster session is designed to share effective
activities developed by the presenters over the years. Activity
handouts, along with ancillary materials, are provided and each activity
is explicitly connected to the Principles for Curricular Reform of the
SAA Committee on Curriculum: Stewardship, Diverse Pasts, Social
Relevance, Ethics and Values, Written and Oral Communication,
Fundamental Archaeological Skills, and Real-World Problem Solving.

As a member of the curriculum committee, I am happy to be the organizer
for the session, so please contact me if you are interested in
presenting a poster-no abstract necessary yet, just let me know you are
interested. Abstracts are due to me by Sept 4.

Cheers,
Ben

--
Benjamin Carter, PhD, RPA