From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Apr 2016 14:20:55 -0700

> >Pupae raised at the lowest temperatures in the brood nest are the most
> likely to become winter bees."
> I'm having trouble with the last sentence, because I don't believe that
> winter bees are the 'dumbest' bees... I cannot find other sources that
> confirm this hypothesis. Does anybody have info about this ?

I'd sure like to see supporting evidence that broodnest temp of the
larvae/pupa destined to become winter bees was actually lower.

>> The bees that experienced larval starvation had fewer ovarioles, higher
hemolymph JH titer and lower sucrose responsiveness, but had no change in
Vg mRNA. These results confirm the occurrence of a previously identified
disconnection between Vg and JH (Ihle et al., 2010).

Sorry for the slow response, Pete.  Ihle actually was quite clear on the
connection between the two.  It was only in the artificially-selected high
pollen hoarding strain that the connection was weak.

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA